Finance

They calculate that due to inflation, prepayments lost 1.2 million members

Due to the repeated increases in quotas, the decrease in the purchasing power of the population and the lower number of affiliations through social work – due to the fall in employment – the list of members of medical services continues to shrink private

Data from the General Directorate of Statistics and Census of the City indicate that in 2018 only 10% of the Buenos Aires population declared having a prepaid medical plan by voluntary contracting. And another 18% answered that they have prepaid coverage for the derivation of contributions through a social Work. In total 28%.

 In 2016, the voluntary affiliates added 12.7% and derived their contributions another 19.9%. In total 32.6%. It is a drop of 4.6 points in just 2 years and represents 140,000 fewer beneficiaries only in CABA. If this fall is projected to the whole country according to the national distribution of the register, the system would have 1.2 million fewer beneficiaries. As far as this goes, these disaffiliations were accentuated by the greater deterioration of the income of the population.

The bulk of the Buenos Aires population – 46.1% – has coverage through the social works that increased the pattern for the return of those who derived their contributions to the prepaid. Exclusively in public hospitals 18.6% and the rest in mutual or emergency services.

With the inflationary leaps of recent years, plus the increase in medical costs, prepaid fees have between four and five annual adjustments.

On average, the cost of prepaid plans is between $ 6,000 and $ 7,500 per month for a middle-aged person, and it is much higher for older adults. A young couple with two young children, for a plan without reimbursements, pay around $ 13,000 per month. And older family plans exceed that amount.

Since July, the cost of these plans has increased by 17.5% in 3 monthly installments. The first increase of 5.5% will apply from July 1. Another 6% will be added from August 1 and the third, also 6%, will apply from September 1.

Last week, the first step was taken so that prepayments can provide partial coverages of outpatient coverage or hospitalization. This means offering cheaper plans that do not guarantee 100% of medical care but with limited coverage and those who accept these plans cover the rest through the public hospital.

The partial plans of ambulatory coverage include: Medical Consultations, Medications, Studies and Practices of Low Complexity and Studies and High Complexity Practices. Meanwhile, the partial hospitalization include Medical Emergencies at home and Guard, Clinical and Surgical Hospitalization and Medication at Hospital.